Custom Search

February 02, 2008

Happy Ground Hog Day - Older and Wiser?

Today is Ground Hog day and it just happens to be my Dad's 80th birthday. Do you know what that means? No, it doesn't mean that we have to watch and make sure that he doesn't see his shadow (he didn't by the way). We will leave that up to Punxatony Phil and Buckeye Chuck. What it means is that he is getting older and it is making me realize that I am getting older too. Closer to retirement mind you, but older. I remember when 80 used to seem ancient. Now it doesn't really seem that far away. As we see our parents aging, we begin to feel our own mortality. This whole retirement thing is really shaking up my psyche. I know that I have a few years to go until I do retire, but less than 10 years I hope. With retirement comes a lot of good things, but also the unknown. Will I have my health? Will I even be alive. How dark is that thought? I guess that gives merit to what one of my friends used to say. "Life is short! Eat dessert first!" With that in mind, one can't forget about the rest of the meal. You need a good recipe for the main entre. A good chef will tell you that you must use all of the ingredients. Missing ingredients can ruin the whole meal. Don't get so wrapped up in planning for retirement that you forget some of the key ingredients. I know! One more thing to worry about.

Happy birthday Dad... Live long and prosper!

0 comments: