Custom Search

January 06, 2008

The Monkey and the Banana

Does it really do you any good to pay someone for financial advice if you are not going to follow the recommendations 100%? After our second meeting, my wife and I have decided to sign on the dotted line with our financial partner. The problem is that while the recommendations that were given to us are quite sound, they involve getting rid of the vast majority of the stock that I own in the company I work for. Having been employed by the same company for 20 plus years, you can imagine the conflict that has created for me. I believe in the company, the leadership, the business, and the people I work with. The industry is highly impacted by housing, so the stock price has been significantly pounded over the last several months. While I don't have a crystal ball, I feel strongly that the stock will come back when housing rebounds and I am confident that it will rebound. Home ownership is still a big part of the American dream. My adviser's recommendations are sound, but my emotional attachment is not letting me go with the sound advice he is offering. He certainly hasn't given me an ultimatum, but he did tell me a story that I would like to share. He asked me point blank if I knew how to catch a monkey without a tranquilizer gun. Not having a good answer, I took the bait (no pun intended). He pointed out that it was quite simple to do. All that is required is to drill a hole in a box and put a banana in it. When the little guy reaches through the hole and grabs the banana, he won't let go. Kind of like I have grabbed onto my companies stock and won't let go. Not that it is a bad stock. I am sure the banana isn't bad either. My adviser pointed out that his recommendation is promoting what he feels will be a safer and more profitable portfolio. Gee, isn't that why I wanted a financial adviser in the first place?

I wonder if there is a way to eat some of the banana and then let go? I am not sure that I can let go of the banana entirely. Every day I see my stock price dip lower with the rest of the market, but know that we are positioned well for the rebound. We are cash rich and still making money, just not as much as the analysts would like. I have always felt that if the basic fundamentals were intact and if you believed in the stock, that you should ride through the tough times. Do I cut the cord, or do I bite the bullet and continue to ride the horse. I don't think I am going to get a partner in this one. The adviser doesn't have the emotional attachment to my company so he is making his recommendations with an open mind. I agree with everything else he has recommended, and even this makes logical sense. It just doesn't feel right. How do I get past this. I hate monkeys!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let go of the banana! It will be hard but your financial advisor is right in the decision that the risk is way too high to hold on your company’s stock. I would have to analyze your complete financial situation to really diagnose what could help you but from the story it seems as if your financial advisor is earning his commission because his advice is sound and seems to be the correct move. My advice personally for you would be to let go of the banana now and wait until the hole becomes bigger so you may be able to pick it up and try to pull it out in the future. Sell your company’s stock wait until volatility calms down then buy on the rise. “You don’t want to marry a dog shit stock; unless you want to smell like shit!”